Why I have a blog

My photo
Since I never seem to get around to sending out Christmas cards or letters, I decided to blog a bit to keep my fans updated. :-)

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Adventures in canning

My friend BS and I added two new tools to our canning accessories this year -- a new food strainer and a pressure canner. The strainer made very quick work of the tomatoes and turned them into a lovely tomato puree that we cooked down with onions, garlic, and some herbs which produced a heavenly scent of tomato-y goodness. Later we added some diced tomatoes and a little sugar, and pronounced it worthy of preserving.

All was well until I retrieved the third quart from the canner. The contents were still boiling, and just before I set it down on a towel, it exploded -- all over me, the wall, the counter, the floor, the fridge...you get the idea. Luckily, none of the children were in the kitchen at the time, and neither BS nor I were scalded by the contents. Whew. Pretty exciting stuff. Next up? Hopefully peaches. And more tomatoes - but not in the same batch. :-)

I am looking forward to making applesauce with the new food strainer -- that should be a breeze!

1 comment:

  1. We've made several hundred quarts of applesauce over the last 20 or so years. Use an apple peeler/corer, put the apples in a very large pot with a little water and lemon juice. Cook until soft, it doesn't take long. Scoop them out and run it through your blender or large bowled food processor. Then put the pureed to your likeness sauce into your jars, seal, and process. Add sugar when you open them.

    ReplyDelete