Why I have a blog

My photo
Since I never seem to get around to sending out Christmas cards or letters, I decided to blog a bit to keep my fans updated. :-)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Holly's happenings

For those who have noticed a lack of Christmas letters from me in recent years (I think I've missed 3 years now), here's what I would have mentioned in a 2008 letter--

This year started off with a parting of ways...between me and my gall bladder. Parting was not sweet sorrow in this case, because I was to the point of feeling ill nearly all the time by the end of the holidays. My parents came out to tend to me and it was very nice to have them here for a few days while I recuperated. Before heading home, Mom extracted a promise that I would not go into the office for the rest of the week, and Dad made me promise not to drive a car until Saturday. Naturally, I was a very good girl and obeyed my parents -- the closest I got to the office was sitting in a comfy chair in the living room with a laptop perched between my knees. (sorry...no photo to show for that. Actually, it's probably better that way)

The next big event was on March 15th – I traveled home that weekend for my Dad’s baptism. (Note: Mom was baptized in July 2007). It was great to visit with the 5 nieces and nephews who live there, and I’m glad I was able to spend some quality time with them because I haven’t been back since. (which is unusual for me) At the time, I was gearing up to teach the cub scouts some magic tricks and tried them out on the nieces and nephews. 8-year-old R was convinced I could read his mind!

In June I went with my choir (Utah Baroque Ensemble, hereafter referred to as UBE) on tour to Italy! I had never been to Italy, and nearly didn’t go this time…but when else would I get a chance to sing in the Vatican? Our small choir provided the music for a mass service in St. Peter’s Basilica – a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I could not pass up. Just in case you go to Italy sometime – my favorite thing was public fountains. If you look closely as you visit them, somewhere nearby fresh drinking water is being dispensed. I only bought 1 bottle of water during the trip and just kept refilling it. And my brother B was right – Rome is ALL about walking.

Since then, mom came out in July for our annual pilgrimage to Utah Festival Opera, which marked the beginning of the high season at “Hotel Harvey”. August is always my busiest month for house guests between Education Week and the start of BYU’s fall semester. I love visiting and reminiscing with friends as they drop their children off at BYU! As an added bonus, I often get to play “aunt” for their kids, so my list of pseudo nieces and nephews continues to grow.

As for the rest of 2008, it will be full of singing! In addition to my new assignment to lead the choir in my congregation, the UBE is preparing to present 4 concerts this fall, and this Sunday rehearsals commence for the Christmas Chorus – a treble choir that practices every weekend from now through November and presents 2 concerts the first weekend in December. We always sing Britten’s “Ceremony of carols”, plus a lovely selection of international carols. I love Christmas music best, so I dearly love being in the treble choir!

I'm sure there is more I could share, but I fear I have rambled on too long already, so I will call that good for now. Thanks for reading to the end!

Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. I would love to come hear you sometime. I'll have to see when the concerts are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please come sometime! I've added links to the choir websites. The CC one hasn't yet been updated for this season, and I should probably mention that I will miss the UBE performance at Orem Public Library.

    You can also sign up at the UBE site to receive notifications of performances via email or snail mail.

    Our concerts are usually free of charge, though there will probably be someone collection optional donations at the UBE Cathedral concert and at both CC concerts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heheh! ^^


    I do hope I get to see you again sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete